Two-winged fruit was established by a scientist with a passion for the environment. We trust you will adore our unique, gentle and luxurious formulations. Our products:
- are certified palm oil free by Orangutan Alliance (and we are a Palm Oil Investigations approved brand)
- are Australian made (most are hand crafted) using our own recipes employing traditional artisan methods
- are 100% natural, with essential oils for scents, clays for colour and natural preservatives
- are accredited cruelty free by Choose Cruelty Free
- feature certified organic ingredients
- feature Australian native ingredients
- where possible contain locally grown ingredients and locally produced packing materials to reduce our carbon footprint
- packaged with thought to the environment using recycled or recyclable materials
- support non-profit organisations in rainforest conservation, with 5% online sales donated to Orangutan Foundation International Australia and 1% profits donated to Rainforest Rescue
- are beautiful to use, as attested by many happy customers.
Two-winged fruit began as a result of founder Maretta’s struggle to find palm oil-free skin care products. Maretta was alarmed to learn that the worldwide demand for palm oil, which is used to make over 200 ingredients found in every day products, is a leading cause of rainforest destruction. She was dismayed to find that even products with labels such as ‘natural’ or ‘organic’ contained ingredients derived from palm oil.
Initially perplexed, Maretta, who has a PhD in organic chemistry, became empowered to develop her own palm oil-free skin care recipes in her home kitchen on the Gold Coast that were both environmentally sustainable and lovely to use for herself and her family.
Maretta is driven by a vision that she hopes resonates with you:
I want to tread gently on the Earth in every aspect of my life, right down to the details of the products that I use every day. I want to know that when I care for my skin I am using products in which every ingredient has been chosen with respect to its impact on the environment. I want to play my part in ensuring that our planet is a beautiful, harmonious place to live for future generations. I want to be reassured that I am not supporting burning of forests to grow palm oil plantations. I want to support ethical, local enterprises. I want to stand for good in the world.
Two-winged fruit is the translation, from Greek, of the name of a large family of rainforest trees, called dipterocarpaceae (di = two, pteron = wing and karpos = fruit). These trees make up much of the native rainforest in places like Borneo and Sumatra.
Sadly, millions of hectares of virgin rainforest have been opened up for palm oil plantations. This is having a devastating effect on biodiversity, destroying the homes of orangutans and many other rainforest animals and plants. If that wasn’t bad enough, the clearing of rainforests is also causing soil erosion, terrible air pollution and contributing to climate change.
The name two-winged fruit symbolises the precious natural environments that we strive to help protect.